As with all things in writing, show don't tell the environment your characters live in is incidental to the story but hint's are necessary to form a connection to the story and to describe a journey. So along with the maps you worked on yesterday you need to flesh it out so you know it as if it were your own.
- Geography- natural resources, location on the world etc
- Politics- within each settlement & between them
- Rites & Rituals- What kind of things do they celebrate, is there a thing or series of things each race or person does everyday besides the obvious body functions & needs
- City Building- Its called city building but it is a description of the community physicality from why that place was chosen for the settlement to a description of the buildings within it.
- Flora & Fauna- plants & animals both domesticated and wild are important to the journey description
50 Questions from Lady Writer to help you build a fictional world