Country music was born in America in the 1920s, having its roots in folk and blues music. Lyrics are commonly sung about love and heartbreak, drinking, trains, and trucks. Along the way, many quirky song titles have popped up. Today these titles are celebrated!
You should spend the day listening and singing along to country music songs with quirky titles, of which there is no shortage. Here are a few to get you started:
- Hank Williams-"Settin' the Woods on Fire"
- Merle Haggard-"Okie From Muskogee"
- Johnny Paycheck-"Take This Job and Shove It"
- Johnny Paycheck-"Pardon Me, I've Got Someone to Kill"
- John Prine-"Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore"
- Kenny Chesney-"She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy"
- Trent Willmon-"Dixie Rose Deluxe's Honky-Tonk, Feed Store, Gun Shop, Used Car, Beer, Bait, BBQ, Barber Shop, Laundromat"
- The Notorious Cherry Bomb-"It's Hard to Kiss the Lips at Night That Chew Your Ass Out All Day Long"
- The Bellamy Brothers-"If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me"
- Deanna Carter-"Did I Shave My Legs For This?"
- Colt Ford-"No Trash In My Trailer"
- Big & Rich-"Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)"
- Johnny Cash-"Flushed from the Bathroom of Your Heart"
- Buck Owens-"Waitin' in Your Welfare Line"
- Buck Owens-"I've Got a Tiger by the Tail"
- Ray Stevens-"The Streak"
- Roger Miller-"You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd"
- Tom T. Hall-"I Like Beer"
- Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson-"Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys"
Yeah I know, three days in a row is not good. Don't worry I don't have Covid-19 just the beginnings of a spring cold. Hopefully, it will be gone soon. In the meantime, I'll do my best to keep you entertained. As you can tell by the style this is another special day from Checkiday
As I was reading through the songs I realized there were a couple I hadn't heard so that's what I'll be doing today.
I used to love country music but when Pop came along I got more into it so it's been a while since I listened to real country music.
Do you have a favourite singer? Mine is Willie Nelson and I got to see him perform live twice during our summer concerts. I haven't much liked the line ups the last couple of years but maybe this year I'll go just to get out of the house.